MacBook core i7 : a real powerfull laptop or a sadly build toy ?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Aug 2 18:07:50 EDT 2010

Anecdotal indeed. Most hard drives that do fail, fail within 5 to 8 years without the constant read/writes. That is a far cry from 30 years. I have not seen a drive last 30 years, because, well they haven't been around that long.

Of course quality comes into play, and the fact that often it's mechanical and not electrical failures that occur, but still, many failures I've seen (and I've seen a lot being an IT guy) are due to the actual media going bad. I don't think we realize how much hard drives actually read/write to buffers and virtual memory, over and over again, often in the same physical place on the drive.

Bob