HyperNext

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 14:58:05 EDT 2010

  On 30/04/2010 21:16, stephen barncard wrote:
> Does it use an Xtalk?
>
> sqb

Here's a sample code I lifted from one of the demo stacks (bounding
lines are mine):
Global errnum
Local sdata

If errnum=0 Then
     PI_SetGraphSpec(1,'1,Supply,10,0')
     PI_SetNeuralSpec(1,'12,1,7,0')
     PI_SetCommands(1,'0.9,0.15,1,10000')

     PI_SetState(1,'0')

     Put field 6 into sdata

     @Put 2 into sdata
     @Put 'OR' after sdata
     @Put '0,0,0' after sdata
     @Put '0,1,1' after sdata
     @Put '1,0,1' after sdata
     @Put '1,1,1' after sdata
     @Put 'XOR' after sdata
     @Put '0,0,0' after sdata
     @Put '0,1,1' after sdata
     @Put '1,0,1' after sdata
     @Put '1,1,0' after sdata

     PI_SetData(1,sdata)

     Call BP1_PI.PI_Run

     Put CodeOutputFN into field 7
Else
     Beep
     Message 'RBscript Compile Error'
EndIf

@If errnum=0 Then
     @Call BP1_PI.GraphSetup(1,'Supply',6000,10,'0')

     @Call BP1_PI.PI_Run
     @Put CodeOutputFN into field 7
@Else
     @Message 'Compile Error'
@EndIf
------------------------------------
it doesn't seem very 'Exy' to me. Quite the reverse; I can feel my toes
curling up.

Somebody who knows more computer languages than me (i.e. most of you)
might be able to cast light on its ancestry; unless it is completely sui
generis ????

It does not strike me as accessible as xTalk.

The chap (he's called Malcolm) appears to have been working on it for at
least 6 years.

There are quite a few fairly sophisticated demo stacks to download, and,
as the thing is FREE
there really is no excuse to not spare 30 minutes mucking around with
it; even if only to know
why, at present, you are sticking to RunRev/Metacard.

I had a reply from the developer who said this:

"HyperNext V4 is not ready for release yet - I'm hoping for late June
for Window and Mac simultaneously.
Sadly Linux is still delayed as there is so much to do for it - but it
will come as Linux is the natural OS for HyperNext."

what he means by "Linux is the natural OS for HyperNext." he doesn't say
(which is a pity) - if the only
reason is that Hypernext and most Linux distros are free that is pretty
feeble. I shall get back to him on
that one.

"I'm really sorry the Linux isn't ready- so many people asking about it
- but only so many things a one man band can do and get right - also
HyperNext is a part-time project among several for me."

Which (go on, download the thing and "give it a whirl") shows marvellous
it is; I wonder how many
people on the Use-List have the know-how to create a RAD from scratch
(and if you have, why aren't you
getting on and doing it?).
------------------------------
Everything is there for the taking; Dev environment(s) and Run
environment, standalone builder and
language guide (which is woefully inadequate).

I will not be investing any more time in it until a Linux version
becomes available.

The chap claims that Unicode stuff is doable; although I don't
(especially after having a
look at the language) fancy porting my Devawriter to Linux that way.
However, should
RunRev not sort out the Font and Printing problems associated with the
Linux version
of Revolution I fear that is the direction I will be moving in. It does
look easier and
more 'my thing' than Python.