Card cut off at bottom because of menu

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:11:30 EDT 2010

Just to (one again) voice my opinion on the "menu matter":

The problem here is that the platforms are fundamentally different in how
they display the menu.

The solution is quite simple, though: the menu should be created 100%
outside the stack. Only the final, standalone application should make the
decision (based on platform or programmer choice) as to whether or not the
menu should be embedded into the stack or not.

On Windows an Linux, it's not about increasing the size of the window and
shifting stack elements down to make room for a menu bar. In the OS API
calls, just creating a window of the same size and specifying a main menu
object handle is enough for the OS to take care of the problem for you.

I think part of the problem here is that Rev treats the main menu as a
[background?] group of controls that need to be part of the stack. This is a
fundamental flaw in design. Sometimes it's great to do things your own
way... but sometimes it's best to just let the OS do what it does best.

My 2 cents...

Jeff M.