[OT] GameOver Mr. Jobs

Jeffrey Massung massung at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:50:40 EDT 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 3:45 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On 29/04/2010 08:38, Randall Lee Reetz wrote:
>> Apple is in it for the money?  Really?  I thought they were a non-profit like Microsoft and Google.  Stupid me.
>
> Yes, really! They are in the profit for it as the Linux people are also, only their model is different.
>
> Nobody is in the computer business out of sheer love for humanity; there is always some other
> motivation; and sooner or later it comes down to the fact that the fridge doesn't fill itself.

Yes, but there are the occasional groups, companies, and individuals who are content doing something that has a social benefit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract_theory). While they still are required to "fill the fridge" - and do want that ;-) - they are also fine with not having the funds to keep buying a new, bigger fridge every year.

Then there's always the people who really just end up loving what they do...

Turning a profit is wonderful and necessary to keep the ball rolling, but usually companies that have profit as the primary bullet point on their mission statement isn't going to survive long-term.

But, sadly, this is rare.

Jeff M.