Video Grabber Audio question

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Apr 28 14:13:47 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 12:06 PM, stephen barncard wrote:

> I posted this on the wrong list a couple of days ago.
> ---
>
> I've gotten the Video grabber to do mostly what I want
>
> - except decide how to control the audio - it always seems to just follow
> the video input
>
> Problems
> 1. The audio mutes in record
> 2. the audio level is low in preview
> 3. Ins and Outs don't switch with default settings
>
> is there a missing audio panel for the grabber?
> Should I be using Trevor's Quicktime External for all of this and forget the
> grabber?
>
> or "you can't get there from here"   ??
>
> This thing is pretty cool; it 'almost works'.  I'm using it to capture every
> video I've shot since 1971 at full DV resolution  (on one hard drive!). I
> especially like the ability to set the "Progressive" setting to
> de-interlace, which is not always available in other apps.

Stephen,

I've never found a way to control the audio format & compression while using the video grabber. One thing I'm going to try this summer is using a shell call the unix utilituy ffmpeg to post-compress video and audio after the initial capture. I'll let the list know if I succeed in getting it to work.

Regards,
Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University