Richmond goes data-mining . . .

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 16:18:47 EDT 2010

  On 27/04/2010 23:02, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
>> So; it would probably better in future, to prevent these "temper
>> tantrums", general misunderstandings, and so forth
>> if anything that is implemented as an external was marked as so, so
>> that folk who ran RunRev on a different platform to that
>> on which a certain external ran would be aware that it was an
>> external and not what we might terms a "core feature" of
>> the IDE.
>
> It might help. It's clear if you open the Externals folder in any of
> the Runtime/Resources folders, but not everyone will know to look at
> that.

  Well I didn't!  As the Documentation never gives the impression that
there is anything qualitatively different
between what is implemented in the 'core features' and as externals, and
does not indicate what is 'core'
and what is not; I don't suppose it has occurred to many people to go
and look.

My Externals folder (Mac G4) contains these:

Browser,revbrowser.bundle
Database,revdb.bundle
Font Support,revfont.bundle
Speech,revspeech.bundle
XML,revxml.bundle
Video Grabber,revvideograbber.bundle
Revolution Zip,revzip.bundle

I cannot see the sound-recording stuff there; so how am I to know, as
you claim, that it is implemented
as an external?

My headless XP box is playing "silly bu**ers" at the moment (i.e. it
will not connect with the Mac - have to join it
up with a VDU and a keyboard and muck about).

My Externals folder (Ubu-Box) contains these:

revdb.so
revxml.so
revzip.so

Now that tells me that the Linux version does not sport the same
font-handling capabilities as the Mac one;
but what capabilities? The ability to embed fonts/ dynamic font-loading?
the name 'revfont.bundle'
doesn't strike me as particularly transparent.

So, things are not that much clearer, and while Thee, Me and many other
people on the Use-List may
enjoy the "hunt" to find out the cans and the cannots, in the long run
it might be better if things were
explictly stated where everybody can see them.