Record Audio in Rev on Linux OS?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Thu Apr 22 12:13:47 EDT 2010

Thanks for the suggestion Peter!

As for how to go about doing what you described in Linux, I'm at a loss.

I have no experience using Rev and Shell scripts in Linux. The reason
why I am interested is that I working on a little utility that allows
students to record an audio response and then ftp the resulting audio
file to a server. This works fine on my Mac, and I presume it will on
Windows too (though have not tested extensively yet).

We have recently begun using Netbooks running Ubuntu Remix with our
students (about 600 of them currently). We do have Audacity on them
for recording audio, among a whole collection of other great software
tools.

I would like to be able to get my little utility to work on the
Netbooks too. I have looked up krecord and hunted some discussion
lists related to command line commands for this tool.

I don't see too much in the area of command line language for
Audacity, so I'm guessing we will have to use krecord or ALSA. These
laptops do have ALSA arecord and aplay and I do see an example in man
for "arecord:"

arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D copy foobar.wav

(I'm guessing in the example above, I would need to give the complete
path when saving the foobar.wav file. Something like ~/home/student/
foobar.wav )

I have never done anything like this with Rev before and need some
direction. I'm guessing that I'm going to need to create a function
that will contain the shell script and then call it from a button when
I want to record...? But I don't have a clue what it would look like???

Does someone have a simple example stack I can pick apart?

Thank you!

John Patten

Message: 11