Mac Scrolling

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Apr 21 16:02:46 EDT 2010

Graham & Heather Harrison wrote:
> Jacqueline,
>
> Let's go back to the start, as we seem to diverging wildly at the
> moment.
>
> Yes, double arrows, at the bottom, can be set in Sys
> Prefs/Appearance. Double arrows at top AND bottom cannot. It can be
> set by the programs I mentioned. I have verified that this setting is
> not the cause of the double-click in the channel problem.

Okay. But what version of OS X are you using? That may matter.

> You said that the "go to here" would probably require scripting
> because the default uses the pageinc property. I was enquiring as to
> how to go about this scripting. Perhaps I need to spend more time
> looking up property settings.

Maybe, but given the problem, I don't think changing property settings
will help. Rev's IDE is already set up to behave as you expect. The
default behavior of a scrollbar's property settings is to do what the OS
normally does.

> The only non-standard behaviour left is the double-click in the
> channel problem. I am not sure how to determine if that is due to my
> settings - is there a list of known previous incompatibilities with
> rev? And if I can't find anything, are you saying that it would be
> very difficult to impose single-click over the abnormal double-click?

There have been no reports of abnormal scrollbar behavior in the ten
years I've been using Rev. They work okay for me and as far as I know,
they work okay for others too. The bug database has no reports about it,
and no one on the list has mentioned it (and this list has most of the
hard-core pros who date back for a very long time.)

So yes, it would be hard for you to script the desired behavior, because
what you want to do is the default behavior that should just happen.

One thing you can try is to reboot your system with the shift key held
down, which will eliminate all third-party add-ons. If that fixes the
problem it may give you an idea of what may be interfering. On the other
hand, anything you've changed with Tinkertool is permanently written to
the system files, so those changes would persist.

Alternately (or maybe even better): can you find another Mac to test on?
One that hasn't been altered with Tinkertool or some other product?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com