speaking of gif animations

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Fri Apr 16 18:46:02 EDT 2010

On Apr 15, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> Somewhat off topic.
>
> At times I make my own gif animations (Fireworks), and when these are
> imported to a Rev stack, the gifs sometimes play well and sometimes
> not. To make the gif I use a lot of copying directly from one frame to
> the next.
>
> When gifs don't play well, it's the gif's transparency that goes
> screwy. Some frames get drawn ok (seems to be the original frames
> rather than the copied frames), but other frames seem to be half there
> with "fuzzy" edges. But If I run the same gif on a browser, no
> problems.
>
> By way of solution, during save-as I've tried alpha- and
> index-transparency (no idea what those mean), but that didn't work.
>
> Anyone more versed in animated gif design have any guesses as to what
> I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

Have you tried setting the constantmask to true? I make gif animations with Fireworks all the time and usually I have to set the constantmask to true to avoid glitches in the display. See the RunRev dictionary for an explanation.  I've never tried unoptimizing. If it works to solve your problem, let us know!

In Fireworks, using alpha transparency means using the transparent the canvas color (background) as the transparent element. Index transparency means you get to choose which color will be transparent; it defaults to the canvas color. Using Fireworks' animated symbols instead of copying objects will result in smaller, and maybe better, animations.

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.
<www.califexsoftware.com>