Debian, Sidux, Ubuntu, reference distributions for Rev

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 12:15:47 EDT 2010

  On 13/04/2010 19:01, Andre Garzia wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Linux is hard...

Yes, it is; & well said, Andre.

Why do I have a funny feeling that the folks in Edinburgh HQ know more about
Linux than either myself or Peter; at least as far as it affects RunRev.

I also find it very odd indeed that, as far as I can see, the only
really besetting
problems with Runrev on Linux are:

Fonts, Printing and the revBrowser,

yet Peter seems to have come up with all sorts of other ones which I,
for one,
can neither duplicate or find.

I have been developing my EFL stuff on Linux (largely with RunRev 2.2.1) for
about 5 years now, and the only real problem I encountered was one where
audioClips were being played at half-speed; this was easily rectified by
'stretching' the sound files with Audacity.

It is only since I started work on my 'Devawriter' (which is extremely
"fonty")
that I became aware of the inability to detect end-user installed fonts;
- while
it is a bother to me, it really is of minor interest to most
programmers; as is
printing.

I feel that RunRev for Linux is 'second-class' compared with Runrev for
Mac and Windows; but it is not "third" or "fourth" class; and to represent
it as such is to do it a disservice.