Debian, Sidux, Ubuntu, reference distributions for Rev

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Tue Apr 13 12:01:48 EDT 2010

Peter,

Revolution should be tested against the following distros:

* Ubuntu (number one guy on the desktop right now and if it runs well on
this it should work on debian)
* Fedora (this will make it run on both Red Hat and CentOS)

All the others like Gentoo, Mandriva, SuSe should be community tested but
not worth the company effort (in time and money). Rev should be as self
contained as possible relying less and less on shared libs since each linux
packs them in a different place. This would ensure the requirements were
simple like: glibc something.

It is impossible to create a binary system that runs well on all linux
platforms and desktops. The thing is linked against something, we don't know
if something is available everywhere. For example, Rev uses GTK, KDE users
would rather prefer it using QT. XFCE user will be happy with anything but
big lazy stuff and so on. Its quite hard to distribute binary systems on
linux that why theres a whole ecosystem of auto conf tools so that your
source code is pre processed against hundred tests at build time on the
client machine to make sure you're linking with what is available. Thats why
open source is king on linux, unless you distribute your source with
autoconf tools, there's no guarantee it will run on client machines. Each
linux installation is its own kingdom. Mine is openSUSE 11.2 with tons of
modifications...

Linux is hard...