Debian, Sidux, Ubuntu, reference distributions for Rev

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 08:44:24 EDT 2010

This is an interesting interview which repays thought by anyone thinking
about the issue of Linux reference distros.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100412#feature

Debian has two package collections and two distributions.  There is an
important difference. The collections are

	experimental

	unstable

The distributions are

	testing

	stable.

Ubuntu is mainly made up of packages from Debian Experimental.  Sidux is
like Ubuntu but using a different collection, its made up of packages from
Debian Unstable, ie one step closer to what Debian thinks is suitable for
general release.

Read between the lines of the interview, and you will see why you don't
want to use either Sidux or Ubuntu as a reference distribution.  Its not
that they are bad, or I don't like them.  Use them by all means, just not
for this.  Its about what you need in a reference distro, and that is,
something tested properly as a distro, with a long life when it will be
maintained and updated as a distro.  I would also not use a Windows release
candidate as a reference distribution for Windows, its similar.

I also would not use Sidux in a production environment - Debian Testing,
maybe, after its been out for a year, but preferably Debian Stable.  For a
server, only Debian Stable.  Sidux is an admirable and interesting effort,
but it too is a step too far for me in personal use.

Peter