revMobile

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Thu Apr 8 22:54:05 EDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 9:38 PM, Jerry Daniels wrote:

> Gruber just post a more studied view of Apple's latest ruling (the infamous Section 331) which we have been discussing in this thread:
>
>   http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/why_apple_changed_section_331
>
> I anticipate this latest change to the "rules" will generate quite fierce debate among all concerned--which includes those of us who have bought into revMobile.

I've been following the debate so far with bated breath. I've lately been re-architecting a complex app so that I can shoehorn it into revMobile. Right now, I'm hoping I don't have to tell my employer the effort's been for nothing. I had just about convinced myself that RevMobile was going to squeak in, but I was reading this about Flash (at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/abansod_iphone.html), which everyone is saying is the target of the license change:

> We enabled this by using the Low Level Virtual Machine (LLVM) compiler infrastructure. LLVM is a modular, flexible compiler system that is used widely in a variety of projects. The key reason we choose LLVM is its flexibility and applicability to iPhone development.
>
> We created a new compiler front end that allowed LLVM to understand ActionScript 3 and used its existing ARM back end to output native ARM assembly code. We call this Ahead of Time (AOT) compilation—in contrast to the way Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR function on the desktop using Just in Time (JIT) compilation. Since we are able to compile ActionScript to ARM ahead of time, the application gets all the performance benefits that the JIT would offer and the license compliance of not requiring a runtime in the final application.
>
> By doing the compilation step, we allow developers to create applications using their Flash skills and their knowledge of ActionScript 3. In the process, we also expose the APIs that developers are familiar with so they can not only use the ActionScript language but follow the customary app-building model. When you build your application for the iPhone, there is no interpreted code and no runtime in your final binary. Your application is truly a native iPhone app.

How is this different from what RevMobile does? Hmmm?

Now I'm worried.