Adding configuration (by username) to a stack

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Sat Apr 3 17:21:56 EDT 2010

I have an application that's been out in the "wild" for about 3 years
now and the customer is asking for some updates.  One of the items that
they want to change is adding the ability to do certain things like
delete records (currently they call me and I do this remotely) but they
only want to have certain people, based on the name they log in with, to
be able to do it.

I've been toying around with several different methods but I'd really
like some advice on what might be the best way to make these changes to
a well established program.  What I'm going to need to do is:

Have certain menu items either disabled or removed based on the user's
rights.
Have some buttons on various cards either disabled or invisible.
Have certain pop up stacks come up in either read-only or read-write mode.

I would like to have a system of "profile" stacks (this seems the most
manageable to me), one for each role.  I already validate their login
from a database and get a profile description (like "Administrator") and
a profile name (like "admin") for each user but I've never done anything
with them.

Any suggestions or pointing of the way would be appreciated.

len morgan