Life-cycle of paper clips

Douglas dougtechie at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 20:28:52 EDT 2010

OK guys, I suppose I walked into several of those points. - ouch! (bare
feet)
On a slightly different note, but strangely connected! -
Way back in the last century when I was a lad, I was talking to the
Senior Design Engineer for Hoover UK.
(The people that make washing machines and vacuum cleaners that also eat
socks.)
(I don't think they were very keen on the taste.)

Anyway, I pointed out to him that the company was spending a very large
part of the R&D budget designing customised controllers for each version
of their products.
I thought it would be better to design one good general purpose
programmable microcontroller and just stick a different ROM in for each
different product.
He got really angry and said that the company stayed at the forefront of
technology by designing custom chips
"We will never produce anything that could be called "General purpose" "
I don't know if he still has a job.

Douglas

ps. Honest, I am intending to post something that is relevant to using
RunRev soon!