Rotating Polygons

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:24:39 EDT 2009

I just have been reading Robert Cailliau's page:

http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Programming/Revolution/Tutorials/zTutorials.html

I popped together a stack containing a Heptagonal regular
polygon and popped this in a button:

on mouseUp
   set the Angle of grc "HEPT" to 45
end mouseUp

in RunRev 4 that seems to work perfectly well ...

also works perfectly in Dreamcard 2.6.1 ....

This doesn't work for a a non-regular polygon graphic:

Cailliau claims:

"Unlike images, polygons cannot be directly rotated in Revolution.  They
have no "angle" property."

http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Programming/Revolution/Tutorials/PolygonRotation/zPolygonRotation.html

the second part of which is plain WRONG; one can set the ANGLE of an
irregular polygon, it just doesn't
have any affect.

HOWEVER, the Documentation explicitly details  revRotatePoly:

on mouseUp
   revRotatePoly the long ID of grc "SQUIGGLE", 60
end mouseUp

which is a lot simpler than getting misled by Cailliau's stuff about
having to use all sorts of complicated
custom properties.