Challenge: to do something like this in a revlet #2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 30 11:57:11 EDT 2009

Richmond wrote:

> http://www.ovomaltineforever.com.br/
>
> Cripes, I am getting cheesed-off with the
> ubiquitous Flash.

I don't mind Flash, but splash pages went out with 2002 and that one
runs waaaay too long even by 20th century standards.

Jared Spool of UIE offers a simple recipe for evaluating the usefulness
of things like intro pages:
<http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0103/0136.html>

:)

We use splash screens in desktop apps only because the app needs time to
initialize and we need to give the user something attractive to look at
until it's ready for work.

I've seen some apps actually delay their boot time so they can display
their splash screen longer.  I don't quite understand that; the user
didn't boot the app to look at a splash screen, and users don't go to
the Ovaltine web site to look at colored blobs dancing around.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World