Idiot's guide to regular expressions?

SparkOut SparkOutYNY at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 16:17:26 EDT 2009

Graham Samuel-4 wrote:

> The RunRev docs yield the explanation and definition of regular
> expressions, used for example in the matchText function, to the
> following link:
>
> <http://www.pcre.org/man.txt>
>

> while doubtless definitive, this amounts to an academic thesis of many
> many pages, and of little practical use to folks not brought up on
> Unix, such as myself, who don't have quite a few hours to spare.
>
> Of course there is no shortage of other texts on regex to be found on
> Google, but can anyone suggest a concise primer that will help me
> parse ascii strings without too many tears? If there is one, maybe
> it's time to suggest that RunRev mention it in the documentation.
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

The section is not referred to on the current runrev.com site that I can
tell any more, but you can still directly access the old scripting
conferences here: http://support.runrev.com/scriptingconferences/

There is a very useful stack (number 16, Text munging, which includes regex)
by Alex Tweedly. Whatever the RunRev version you have, the regex is still
current, and very helpful to get to grips. Includes a sample email address
extractor, which shows just how to use it.