"Helper Application"?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Sep 26 00:15:32 EDT 2009

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> The RevTalk Dictionary entry for the "environment" function lists
>> "helper application" as one of the possible values the function can return:
>>
>>    If the environment function returns "helper application",
>>    Revolution is running as a helper application, configured
>>    by a web browser to display web-based content.
>>
>> That's not the same as the plugin, is it?  That entry is from the v3.0
>> dictionary, long before the plugin was even in development.
>>
>> What does it mean for a Rev standalone to be "configured by a web
>> browser to display web-based content"?
>
> Browsers let you specify what apps to open if they can't display web
> content themselves. So if you click a .rev link on a web page, and you
> have assigned the browser to use Rev to open .rev files, then the
> browser will pass the link off to Revolution and launch it. It's the
> same as assigning .doc files to Word. I didn't know the environment
> would change when that happens though.

Me neither.

I've used Rev standalones as helper apps before, but IIRC the app just
gets an odoc event when the browser hands it a stack, and the engine
doesm't bother to notice whether it was handed the stack from a browser
or the Finder.

I suspect this may be a holdover from the olden MC days when it was
Unix-only.  Would be nice if there was a way a standalone could
distinguish how it was launched, though.  There's a world of
opportunities still unexploited with helper apps....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World