File Types and Creator Codes

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 15:10:20 EDT 2009

On 25 Sep 2009, at 00:20, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2009/09/horrifically-bad-software-demos-become-performance-art.ars

Not sure how I posted that link by mistake, it should have been:

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits/2009/09/metadata-madness.ars

On 25 Sep 2009, at 07:16, Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:

> Here is the interesting article about this issue which claims that
> instead Apple is pushing superior alternative, UTI (Uniform Type
> Identifiers)

As far as I'm aware, there is currently *no* option in the UTI scheme
to set the default opening application individually on a per-file
basis - just per-extension.
If you want some of your .rev files to open in Rev and some to open in
your own app by default then in Snow Leopard you will have to manually
set the default app for those files in the Get Info window of the
Finder.

In other words UTIs *would* be superior if they could fulfil the old
functionality as well as expanding it.

Ian