Challenge: to do something like this in a revlet.

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Thu Sep 24 13:19:35 EDT 2009

Le 24 sept. 09 à 19:00, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Colin Holgate wrote:
>> Ian, Flash text fields can be set to allow selecting and copying,
>> swfs  can be published in a search engine friendly way, and it's
>> possible to  "deep link" into any part of a Flash application, if
>> that's important  to do.
>> The lack of those things in a site isn't a consequence of it
>> being  done in Flash.
>
> True, the use of 6-point Nanosquint type there isn't required by
> Flash.  I've seen a great many other Flash presentations which can
> actually be read by the unaided eye.  ;)
>
> I would like to know which part of <http://www.hybridworks.jp/>
> caught Richmond's attention.  There's a lot there, and inevitably
> any plugin will be compared to the ubiquitous Flash so it may be
> useful to explore strengths and weaknesses of each.

Here is my humble experience concerning Flash v.s. Rev:
My second son (age 18) is a student in graphic communication. He is
NOT a programmer. He is naturally aware of Flash and I have bought
some books about Flash and ActionScript. The result is that he just
cannot get it. It is too complicated (and, seemingly, too much
timeline oriented).
On the other hand, I introduced him to basic revtalk programming this
summer. He was enthusiastic about it.
But, he was not very impressed by the revlet examples on runrev's
site by comparison to Flash.
The lesson I have drawn is that
a) yes, it is good to see that revlets can produce animations but
b) Flash does this very well (better, actually), and it would be
interested to have on runrev's site that emphasize the proper
strengths of revTalk (the display of the scripts in the demos are
very convincing, BTW).

While I  am at it, will it be possible to call externals from
revlets? I am drooling over the possibility to have interactive demos
of applied mathematics over the internet....

cheers,
	François