does a script stops at get shell?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Tue Sep 22 10:24:33 EDT 2009

Hi Tiemo,

> Win, Rev: 3.5 I have a handler where I call a vbs file in the shell
> which
> copies some files. At the end of the handler I delete the source file
> (which
> has been copied by the vbs). Now I experience that under certain
> circumstances (slow processor?) it seems that the source files are
> deleted
> before the vbs has copied them.
>
> My understanding up to now was, that the script waits at every
> statement
> (including calling the shell or sub handlers or functions) until its
> execution, before its running on. But now I am getting doubtful,
> because it
> seems that my handler doesn't wait for the execution of the vbs and
> runs on
> to the delete file.
>
> Can anybody shed some light on this to correct me? Any light very
> welcome!

I don't know about your VB but I do use the third party DLL written in VB
which I can call asynchronously. What this means is when I call it, it
returns immediately back to the calling program. But it is still running. I
can now continue processing in Rev and I must now poll the DLL periodically
to see if it has completed its job and then grab its result by making
another call to it.

So yes, Rev runs synchronously. But your VB program could be running
asynchronously.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini