Want to Try Franklin 3D - 3D Engine for Revolution?

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 08:30:38 EDT 2009

Lynn - its good to see there are quite a few standard formats supported by
the open source Irrlicht
backend<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrlicht_Engine>that Franklin3D
is using:

Irrlicht supports a wealth of file formats. It will load and display 3ds Max
files, Quake 2 MD2 Models, Maya .obj objects, Quake 3 .bsp maps, Milkshape3D
objects, and DirectX .x
files.[18]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrlicht_Engine#cite_note-17>More
3D format support have been written as external plugins.

I've not been able to find any reviews comparing Irrlicht with other cross
platform 3D engines out there - Irrlicht is an interesting choice but not an
engine I've heard of before - have you got any links to reviews or perhaps a
reason why you chose Irrlicht over other more common open source game
engines <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_game_engines> (for
instance OGRE and Crystal Space)

I'd also be interested on your thoughts as to how you might integrate
something like Blender into the workflow / editing environment?