creating and/or replacing stacks

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 08:52:24 EDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 2:48 AM, Lars Brehmer wrote:

> Can anybody point me to a tutorial or a demonstration or anything
> that emplains creating or deleting or replacing stacks from a
> standalone? What I want to do is make a standalone that updates
> another standalone by replacing one of its stacks with one from the
> updater stack. As basic as this probably is, I haven't a clue how to
> do it, and all atttempts to figure it out have failed.

First concept for you to realize is that a standalone is a compiled
app or exe, which means once compiled, it can no longer be modified.

This is kind of like an oil painting where the artist wants to go back
and replace a blue color with one that is a little darker.  Can't undo
the painting, but you can make a new one and change the blue color.
For Rev, this means go back and compile a new version of your
standalone.

What you can do is create a standalone that uses stacks that are not
part of the standalone, then replace those stacks.  There are many
discussions on the list about this and the key word to look for is
'splash screen'

Follow this link to read over 500 posts about distributing stacks,
substacks, binary files, text files, and standalones.

http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=2297&local=y&query=%22splash%22

Jim Ault
Las Vegas