Where to place (sub)stacks?

Klaus Major klaus at major.on-rev.com
Thu Sep 17 06:24:02 EDT 2009

Hi David,

> On 16 Sep 2009, at 6:00 pm, Klaus wrote:
>> If I would ever need to let the users modify and save STACK files,
>> I would go this way:
>> 5. Pro: If a user deletes one of your stacks (c'mon, we all know
>> how they are :-D) you can quickly replace it with a fresh copy!
>
> Klaus,
>
> This issue has caused me considerable pain in the past, but I have
> sorted most of it out since Vista flounced onto the OS stage with
> such ill placed confidence.     I have just had a results stack in
> the installation folder, and copied it to the users documents folder
> if it isn't already there.  (This is a little unsatisfactory in that
> the results file isn't exactly a user's document in the simplest
> sense, but it does work.)
> However, I have never come across the stack as a custom property in
> this context. What is the advantage of doing it that way?

The advantage is that you do not have "files" anymore that you need to
manage somehow.

> Is it that you set the property in the IDE, and so don't actually
> need the stack to be anywhere else in the installation once you build?

Yes, since you store the "binary" (tha actual "your_stack.rev" file)
in a custom property!
I also do this insted of cloning a stack if necessary, since you can
also do:
put the cStack01 of this stack into tStack
go stack tStack

Kinda "virtual stack" :-)

> Intrigued..
>
> David Glasgow