Re: What's with the ¥ character?

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 17:26:30 EDT 2009

You also have to specify the font you are using to display the
character.
Not every font on the Mac shows a bullet char for that same ascii code.
In fact, that is part of the definition a font.  The designer decides
which images/vector art to assign to each character.

If it is a 255 character set, then the Yen character is in the high
ascii range, and will vary from font to font.  You can see which ones
do on your Mac by following the steps below.

The key term is you want is "Character Map"

For the Mac follow these steps
Mac OS X character map and keyboard viewer.

First, open System Preferences and show the International settings
pane (in the top row of icons).
Second, select the Input Menu tab and check the Keyboard Palette
checkbox. Check the menu box that reads "Show input menu in menu bar".
Now you will notice an icon in your system's top menu bar, probably
the U.S. flag. This the input menu. When you click on the menu you can
select "Show Keyboard Viewer" and the palette will open, allowing you
to select a font and hold down Option, Shift, Command keys to view
keyboard combinations.
Extra bonus functionality:
While displaying the Keyboard Viewer, change your font in the document
and the keyboard viewer will type in that selected font, showing the
high-ascii symbols accordingly.

--------  very cool part of OSX
Choose Character Map from the Country Flag in the Mac menubar and
explore how it will show you all of the fonts that contain a
particular character and what it will look like.
You can drag and drop chars from the listings to add them to your
documents.
Even allows browsing of unicode char sets and specifying the iso-set

For a bullet character, choose view 'all characters', then click on
Punctuation triangle, then 'Punctuation', then scroll down to the
triangular bullet,     the bullet, and     the white bullet (a unicode
char)
Click on the 'bullet' char and below you will see the 70 or so fonts
that have that character.
Choose 'Modern' instead of 'Containing selected character' and you
will see about 35-40 fonts that have a bullet character.

---------
Tool for Windows
http://wareseeker.com/free-character-map-font-viewer/

Hope this helps,