Two questions about trev

Jerry Daniels jerry.daniels at me.com
Mon Sep 14 11:03:47 EDT 2009

Mark, et al.,

I do think that there is a conceptual model of what a script is: a
single body of text. Inserting folders into the code REALLY slows down
rendering. We have links in our code now, I found embedded folder
images made script rendering slow. Super slow.

Furthermore, the nature of the script that i think is antithetical is
the flexibility of rev talk. How many ways can you write if-then-
else's? Lots. I've actually tried and used folders in rev scripts and
it wasn't as rewarding as I would have thought.

HOWEVER...

I've often thought it would be cool to make scripts into collections
of handlers, with each handler as a component of a script. I made a
script editor were the script was a group of handlers. Literally a
group as in the object "group." THAT was interesting. And that
interests me. Each handler as it's own record. The ability to share
handlers, reuse handlers, etc. comes into play. But that also removes
the prose nature of a natural language. Would declarations follow a
handler? Dependencies on other handlers? Comments belonging to handlers.

What I always find myself bumping up against is the nature of the
language. Will my model go with or against that nature? Watch Bill
Atkinson talk about HyperCard and HyperTalk in some of the old video.
It's fascinating. His perception of the nature of HyperCard and
HyperTalk are very simple.

In the end, I tend to go back to Bill's models, as they are also now
the most modern outlook on app building: small and simple. Therefore,
I tend to NOT complexify scripting any more than I have to. And
folding seems like rubbing a cat's fur the wrong way to me, given all
the different ways I've looked at it thus far.

Best,

Jerry Daniels
Watch tRev - The Movie
http://reveditor.com/trev-the-movie