Building a Side-Scrolling Game in Revolution

Derek Bump userevolution at dreamscapesoftware.com
Thu Sep 10 23:57:30 EDT 2009

I'm not sure if anyone else on the list has done anything in this realm,
but for a long time I've been interested in creating a Side-Scrolling
"Mario" style game in Revolution.

I threw together a basic concept called "Side-Scrolling Game Test" and
I've uploaded it to the New RevOnline.  Please check it out.  If you
would prefer to play the game with the theme music as well, download it
from here: http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/game_test.zip

The Game controls are the Left and Right arrow keys for movement, and
the Space bar to jump.

Now my test is a basic concept, and I'm looking for advise on how to
improve upon it.  There is basic support for Movement, Gravity,
Interactive Sprites, Enemies and Object Detection.

My planned improvements include trying to determine intersections prior
to moving the sprite, curved jumping and moving enemies and rewards.
I'm also going to generate a list of active sprites for the repeat loop,
instead of just looping through all of the objects in the group.

Anyways, any help is much appreciated.  Revolution may not exactly excel
at gaming, but with a little help, I'm sure we can come up with
something.  Thanks!

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com