Quicktime and the Snow Leopard

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 04:31:07 EDT 2009

Thanks for that link, Björnke.

After reading the relevant pages of the Ars Technica review, and going
through the comments, I found a reference to this discussion entry,
which seems to clarify the current situation vis a vis Snow Leopard
(which distinguishes between QT the framework and QT the player:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8398878&postcount=56

Although there still seems to be some confusion in the comments on Ars
Technica as to whether or not installing the QT 7 player in 10.6
automatically provides QT Pro features for QT 7.  Some say it did,
others that it didn't.  I've found the GoLive QT editor to be far
superior to using QT Pro anyway.

It still leaves a big question mark over the future of QT as a
framework with a programmable API.  Quicktime for Java is deprecated
in 10.6.  It is very difficult to find Applescript/Automator
information relating to QT on the Apple site, and almost all the
developer information is outdated.  Maybe Apple will have an API for
QT (outside of Objective C) in a few years, as the Ars review
suggests.  Then again, maybe not.

Considering that Livestage Pro seems unavailable (I can't download the
demo, nor access their support site), and their web site is carrying
adverts for hip replacements, it's not a good sign [although
ironically, I am in line for a hip replacement, so maybe it's just to
me that Google is showing that advert].

Bernard