Scripting approach for a splittable window?

David Epstein dfepstein at comcast.net
Tue Sep 8 19:51:33 EDT 2009

Has anybody tried to build a scrollable, horizontally and vertically
splittable window interface that allows a user to create and freely
add, delete, and edit graphic objects or fields in any pane of the
window?  The true "page size" might be much bigger than can be shown
in the window at any one time, but the objective is to let the user
split his view and inspect any 2 vertical regions and any 2
horizontal regions (as in a spreadsheet).

I can think of various ways this might be approached, and wondered if
anyone has experience or advice.  Should we make 4 groups with
identical content, adjust their scroll properties appropriately, and
when a user edits one group automatically change all the others (and,
in that case, should this be done by copying a created or modified
object, or by replacing each entire group with a copy of the changed
one)?  Should we maybe keep a "master" page off screen entirely, and
copy objects from that master page to the appropriate pane by
checking the rect of each object against the pane's intended scroll
position?  Or should the "master" set of objects be alternately
hidden, shown in a pane, or cloned in several panes, based on a list
of their "logical" locations that gets compared with the intended
pane scroll positions?  Or should we maybe construct each pane from
an image of a rect of the master page, and when the user tries to
edit a pane swap in the real objects, or a scrolled view of the
master page?

Or something else entirely?

Many thanks.

David Epstein