Quicktime and the Snow Leopard

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Sep 8 16:56:36 EDT 2009

On 8 Sep 2009, at 17:05, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> I hope there is more logic in the OS X installer then just
> "luck" ;-) It would be nice to find out what the determining factor
> is.

I don't have snow leper installed, but I've read the ars technica
review.

Basically there's two things going on. most more advanced quicktime
features are actually not yet implemented in the new Quicktime Toolkit
(QTKit). So for those features, 10.6 always falls back to the QT 7
APIs. Meanwhile there is also a new QT player, dubbed QT X. it also
lacks several features that the QT 7 player did have.

The API's are all installed by default (and they need to be, as for
example, QT X can't even crop stuff), and those features remain
accessible for all applications that do use QT, for example rev.
However, the QT player is not, and you need to manually do that by
choosing the Quicktime 7 check mark in the installer.

Read it yourself (35'000 words!):
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6#qtkit
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/16

--