Line Breaks Dropped on Importing Unicode Text

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 4 21:35:12 EDT 2009

My fellow petroglyph prowler Jim Ault wrote:

> Some programs, like BBEdit, try to detect the encoding, but this does
> not always work.  I think the BOM is supposed to be the flag for the
> encoding, but this is not always clear.
>
> In BBEdit one of the File menu commands is "Reopen Using Encoding >"
> with (6) choices..
> Unicode(UTF-8)
> Unicode(UTF-8, no BOM)
> Unicode(UTF-16)
> Unicode(UTF-16, no BOM)
> Unicode(UTF-16, Little Endian)
> Unicode(UTF-16, Little Endian, no BOM)
> thus there must be some trial and error involved depending on the
> source of the Unicode string.
>
> I know this is confusing and I will be diving into the arena very soon.
>
> (I will avoid any hint of a Mac arena pun because I don't want that
> tune bouncing around in my head.)

The handler I posted a couple weeks ago based some snipped Mark Wieder
posted using some snippets Mark Waddingham shared with him seems to be
holding up okay with the limited testing I've done so far:

<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2009-August/127009.html>

Hope that helps.  If you find ways it breaks please let me know; it'll
help round out our testing here.  Thanks.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World