Internet site rules for on-Rev

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 06:56:41 EDT 2009

The domain name you reserve the right to use is registered with a
company that does registration functions only.
You do not have to ever actually put web pages on a hosted computer to
retain the ownership of the domain.

When you do establish a location (IP address) for your web page(s),
you need to update the record with the domain registrar with this
computer location.

One of the functions of a domain registrar is to let the world know
when you make changes to your domain record.

OnRev is a hosting company that establishes and maintains the location
of your web page(s) and will give you the correct addresses to use for
updating your domain record.  These are called DNS servers (Domain
Name Servers maintained by OnRev.

-1-  contact a *domain registration* company to reserve the domain you
want if it is available
-2-  contact your *hosting* company to get the name server addresses
to update your registration record
-3-  follow the directions of your hosting company for uploading the
actual HTML pages to your hosting company hard drive

If the hosting company goes out of business, you lose the location of
your web site, but not the registration
If you change hosting companies, you then change the name servers on
your registration record to let the world know how to get to your new
location.
One domain can only be routed to one primary IP address.
The reason for secondary IP addresses is in case the server at the
first IP address is not available.

Your *hosting* company maintains a Name Server, which listens for
http:// requests and forwards the request to your location (web pages)

You can have 10 domain names with DNS entries all 'pointing to' the
same *hosting* company (eg OnRev)
In that case, you would have 10 home folders on the *hosting* company
server, each named as one of the 10 domains.
You could have 9 of the folders 'redirecting' traffic to the 10th
folder which contains your favorite home page.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas