Another "How to do this in a Revlet?" thread

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Oct 30 13:15:20 EDT 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Jacque wrote:
>
>> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> This is not only cool, but this type of zooming can be
>>> instructionally
>>> useful:
>>>
>>> <http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/scale/>
>>>
>>> Anyone here pull off something like that in Rev?
>>
>> I haven't, but I don't think it would be hard. It's just a
>> high-resolution image that is continually scaled. I'd put a scrollbar
>> under the image, scripted to reset the scale of the image object, and
>> that should do it. If you want smooth scaling, you'd need to
>> continually
>> rescale in a loop, in very small increments, until the target scale
>> is
>> reached.
>
> I'm attracted to the idea that it could be easy, but I think in
> practice
> it may be quite harder than it looks.

Pretty easy to do as a simple, medium-res example (but don't set the
image's resizeQuality to "Best", or it gets really slow):

Try my crude test from the message box:

go stack url "http://asay.byu.edu/testZoom.rev"

Can anyone improve on this? (A low standard, I know. :) )

> For starters, it loads really fast so it's gotta be vector objects
> rather than a large scaled bitmap image.
>
> And given its size when you're zoomed in all the way, it would almost
> certainly exceed Rev's 4095-pixel limit on image size (do I have that
> limit correct?).
>
> I think it would require some nifty scaling algorithms, and with Flash
> doing this almost automatically and with us needing to do this in
> script, I'm having a hard time figuring out how one could do that as
> gracefully.

What about taking lots of snapshots of the image at different scales
and making it into a movie, then just using a slide to scrub through
the movie? Maybe that's cheating, but you work with what you've got.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University