Another "How to do this in a Revlet?" thread

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 30 13:01:01 EDT 2009

Jacque wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> This is not only cool, but this type of zooming can be instructionally
>> useful:
>>
>> <http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/scale/>
>>
>> Anyone here pull off something like that in Rev?
>
> I haven't, but I don't think it would be hard. It's just a
> high-resolution image that is continually scaled. I'd put a scrollbar
> under the image, scripted to reset the scale of the image object, and
> that should do it. If you want smooth scaling, you'd need to continually
> rescale in a loop, in very small increments, until the target scale is
> reached.

I'm attracted to the idea that it could be easy, but I think in practice
it may be quite harder than it looks.

For starters, it loads really fast so it's gotta be vector objects
rather than a large scaled bitmap image.

And given its size when you're zoomed in all the way, it would almost
certainly exceed Rev's 4095-pixel limit on image size (do I have that
limit correct?).

I think it would require some nifty scaling algorithms, and with Flash
doing this almost automatically and with us needing to do this in
script, I'm having a hard time figuring out how one could do that as
gracefully.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World