Making a stack a custom property of a stack

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 04:16:58 EDT 2009

A while back Klaus was kind enough to spend some time describing how
to do this and then use any stack stored in this way.  I was
impressed at the time, and still am.

In fact this is such a Very Good Thing, I want to suggest that it
should be an explicit part of the IDE.  I know that would only make
it marginally easier to do, but it would make it a darn sight more
obvious to new users.  I do enjoy the ongoing discovery of Revs
flexibility and power, but can't help thinking that in this case the
gem would have been useful to me way back at the beginning of
learning Rev.  I had settled on a world picture that allowed  stacks
which are modifiable and standalones which are not, and to use the
former they have to be installed as  stacks when the end user
installs the whole package. The stack as stack custom property
changes the game completely, without breaking any rules.  Great.  But
not obvious.

I have in mind a variant of the custom property tab which would
display and manages stacks 'banked' within the current stack,
avoiding the scripting Klaus described.  I don't want to go mouthing
off to the nice folks in Edinburgh if this isn't such a good idea, so
I would be interested in the thoughts of the wise...

David Glasgow