Container for Multiple Choice Quizes

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Oct 27 20:31:14 EDT 2009

Well, I don't much like dBases, or XML, so here's what I'd probably do....

Answer (a)

1. Have a folder for each category.
2. in the folder, have a file (category.tx, maybe?) with the first line
containing the category name, and subsequent lines containing the
verbiage for it.
3. have a sub-folder for each quiz
4. within it, have file (quiz.txt ?) with the first line containing the
title, and subsequent lines with the verbiage
5. within the folder, have a file per question, having
      question
      4 lines for answers, each being :
                "answer" TAB "True or False"
       subsequent line holding the verbiage for question

and then the script would do something like

> local sArray    -- to hold data for testing
>
> on mouseUp
>    set the defaultFolder to "C:/Users/Alex/Documents/Programming/RunRev"
>    put the defaultFolder
>    readfile "category1", "quiz1", "question"
> end mouseUp
>
> on readfile   pCategory, pQuiz, pQuestion
>    -- the real version would use the params to set the folder / subfolder
>    -- and read the appropriate question file
>    local tFile
>    put URL "file:category.txt" into tFile
>    put line 1 of tFile into sArray["category"]
>    put line 2 to -1 of tFile into sArray["category verbiage"]
>
>    put URL "file:quiz.txt" into tFile
>    put line 1 of tFile into sArray["quiz"]
>    put line 2 to -1 of tFile into sArray["quiz verbiage"]
>
>    put URL "file:question.txt" into tFile
>    put line 1 of tFile into sArray["question"]
>    put line 6 to -1 of tFile into sArray["question verbiage"]
>
>    repeat with i=2 to 5
>       put item 2 of line i of tFile into sArray["answer"][item 1 of
> line i of tFile]
>    end repeat
>    printarray sArray
> end readfile
>
> on printarray pArr
>    repeat for each line K in the keys of pArr
>       put "doing " && K & CR after msg
>       if pArr[K] is an array then
>          repeat for each line K1 in the keys of pArr[K]
>             put K1 && ":" && pArr[K][K1] & CR after msg
>          end repeat
>       else
>          put K && ":" && pArr[K] & CR after msg
>       end if
>    end repeat
> end printarray

Answer (b)
instead of a subfolder, I might have a Tab separated "spreadsheet" with
the quiz/questions/answers. Changes would be pretty obvious

-- Alex.