how to preserve character set encoding when creating a text file?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Oct 23 12:52:33 EDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Josh Mellicker wrote:

> Thanks Joe, we will peruse that, I wonder who wrote it? These lessons
> don't have "bylines".
>
> When we figure out I will post the solution so nobody ever has to go
> through this hassle again.
>

> On Oct 22, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Joe F. wrote:
>
>> They've posted a good explanation of how to use unicode text here on
>> the Rev site:
>>
>> http://lessons.runrev.com/spaces/754/buckets/784/lessons/6930-How-Do-I-Use-UTF-8-Text-With-Fields-

Josh,

I didn't write this lesson, but I did write an article on Unicode in
RevUp a few months back:

  <http://runrev.com/newsletter/december/issue62/newsletter2.php>

But if I understand your question correctly, the issue was file paths
with unicode characters in them, right? I'm not sure how you would
approach that; I know that there have been problems with non-ascii
characters in file paths before. Perhaps you could store the filepath
as Unicode in a field and refer to the field when you need to use the
filepath in a script. Just speculating...

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University