Calling all open source developers

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Wed Oct 21 15:34:14 EDT 2009

Thanks for the feedback. I work in (applied) mathematics, and in this
fields patents are a no-no. You cannot patent a mathematical idea. The
best you can do is disseminate it and hope it will have a great number
of children (I will not digress on the muddy market of scientific
publishing).

For instance, JPEG is compression over a discrete cosine transform.
The DCT is not copyrighted, it is a mathematical transform. However,
it seems to me that incorporating into some code that runs on a
computer system may make it (the code) fit for some form of copyright;
moreover, if it is embedded into some hardware, the hardware may be
patended. Is this right?

Best regards,
	François