SEND IN TIMe

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Oct 20 19:54:29 EDT 2009

a send in time message will be postponed if there's too much going on,
or if an endless loop is running (and thus blocking rev). but after
things have calmed down, it should fire. so you can't trust that send
in time is running precisely at the given interval, but you should be
able to depend on it firing _somewhen_, and not get lost. So if you
expect the time to be divisible trough 7 minutes (or any other time
interval), then your handler will not run correctly.

make sure that your handler notifies you, make it beep three time if
necessarily. I often think my code is not executed because of a bug,
only to find out that i have added overzealous error checking, which
makes the handler not give me notice because the property "error
checking" is not true (for example). because i added a check that
never could be true, it would not update a status field or run any of
my dozens of beeps, answer dialogs or "put into msg", which i had
added over the evening. took me hours to find out that problem, and
the code i actually wanted to test worked fine the first time! :(

did you check if rev is running an endless handler, a blocking loop or
a similar task (for example "wait" can block the whole of rev, if used
wrongly).

do you use cancel? if yes, try to comment out the cancel code, maybe
you are cancelling the wrong message?

what do the pendingmessages say in your case, is the message really
gone into the void, or maybe it's set to something strange?

it also might be a platform specific thing. what os, and what rev
version is this, is it a standalone, or in the ide? for example, i had
something similar with sockets on linux but on mac os x, any such
problem never happened to me.

some random thoughts that i'd want to be checked, before i could
actually make a guess if it could be a bug or not.

bjoernke