Calling all open source developers

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Tue Oct 20 11:58:53 EDT 2009

BvG,
I am not a license expert, I've studied them in brief. So take this email
more like a personal opinion than a factual report. I know you'd prefer a
factual thing but I am in no position to give it to you. David has more info
on this I bet.

GPL - if it touches it then it needs to be FOSS. It is a viral license since
everything that touches it must also be GPL, by touch understand link, if it
links (in the compiler sense) then it needs to be GPL, so I don't think it
is a good license for Revolution since I don't know how the interaction of
the standalone builder using closed technology conflicts with the link part.

BSD - my favorite license, it is free for you to do whatever you want and
thats all, sell it, distribute it, change it, we don't care.

LGPL - a less fanatic GPL, allows linking, can't tell much about it.

MIT/X11 - I think it is like the BSD license right?

CC - many people use creative commons these for software. I've only used it
for text, but it might work.

We can always use some (free) lawyer advise...