Calling all open source developers

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 13:33:50 EDT 2009

Thierry wrote:

> Le 19 oct. 09 à 18:48, Richmond Mathewson a écrit :
>
>> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> I'm putting together some notes for an article at revJournal.com on
>>> open source projects done with Rev.
>>>
>>> If you're working on complete applications or even just components
>>> for the Rev community, let's use the pages at revJournal.com to help
>>> raise the visibility of your efforts.
>>>
>>> Please reply off-list to me at: ambassador at fourthworld.com
>>>
>>> Kindly include a brief description of your project, URL to its home
>>> page, and please note which FOSS license the project uses.
>>>
>>> Thanks -
>>>
>> Pardon my goofiness, but as far as In understand an Open Source
>> project is not
>> possble using RunRev because RunRev is itself proprietary.
>>
>> I ran up against this several years ago when I offered 2 programs of
>> mine to
>> Ubuntu, who, to put it nicely, got "all hoity-toity" because the
>> source code
>> was not completely open.
>
> Hi Richmond,
>
> The Ubuntu software repository is divided into four components - main,
> restricted, universe and multiverse - on the basis of our ability to
> support that software, and whether or not it meets the goals laid out
> in our Free Software Philosophy.
>
> Read more here :
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components
>

> My 2 cents

Thank you, Thierry; I have read all that stuff a while ago; and almost
fell asleep
because it was so boring.

In my youth I was a fanatic, shouting for various 'pure' causes from
various rooftops:
had I come across it sooner the Free Software Philosophy might have been
one of them.
However, age and experience has shown me that dividing things up into
hard-and-fast
black/white categories is, ultimately counter-productive.

As far as I recall, my reply to the Ubuntu people (to whom I had offered
2 reasonable
programs about the phonemes of English) was something like "boil your
heads".

I am, after all, a great fan of Open Source software, whose computers
almost exclusively
use Open Source applications; all feeding into work I do using Runtime
Revolution, which
I love, and is far from Open Source.

Now if I come 'bearing gifts" the old adage; "Don't look a gift-horse in
the mouth" should
hold good. Feel free to, politely say "No Thanks", but not to get all
high-and-mighty with
some 'pure' Philosophy, because pure philosophies are like anything,
when pressed
against the wall (pushed to their reductio ad absurdam) the pips,
inevitably, squeak.