Calling all open source developers

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 19 13:01:32 EDT 2009

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> I'm putting together some notes for an article at revJournal.com on
>> open source projects done with Rev.
>>
>> If you're working on complete applications or even just components for
>> the Rev community, let's use the pages at revJournal.com to help raise
>> the visibility of your efforts.
>>
>> Please reply off-list to me at: ambassador at fourthworld.com
>>
>> Kindly include a brief description of your project, URL to its home
>> page, and please note which FOSS license the project uses.
>
> Pardon my goofiness, but as far as In understand an Open Source project
> is not possble using RunRev because RunRev is itself proprietary.
>
> I ran up against this several years ago when I offered 2 programs of mine to
> Ubuntu, who, to put it nicely, got "all hoity-toity" because the source code
> was not completely open.

True, some people like to argue.  But very few of those people express
any problem at all with open source projects that run on OS X and
Windows, both of which are proprietary and necessary for the operation
of software that runs on them.

The same is true of microchip instruction sets, on which even GNU Linux
is dependent.  The inner workings of the Intel architecture are
closely-held and strongly-defended "proprietary information", yet no one
on the GNU projects seems to have any problem with that.

If using microchip and OS interfaces are okay, wouldn't that principle
apply equally to using APIs from any closed-source system, like Rev?

To draw a line at some point in the low- to high-level hierarchy of
computing systems on which all software runs, claiming that anything
above the line is "bad" but below the line is "good", seems, to use a
polite term, arbitrary.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World