Arcade / Space Invader classic game?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sun Oct 18 14:36:54 EDT 2009

I have made some stacks that need fast screen redraws (for maps and
country creation).

One way to do that is to use buttons that are see trough and have no
border, then set their icons. For a very old style "one space ship,
one place" invaders type, you can use that approach easily.  If you
want to move them real time, then using buttons to animate them
(switching between frames by setting the icon) is also a good way to
do it, but it can be slow if you use more then hundred or so.

If you want to go really old school, you can use a nifty feature of
the irregular rectangle: the markers. By setting each point on a
particular distance (for example 8 pixels), and then having markers of
8*8 pixels, you can cover the screen very efficiently, but only with
one type of colorisation (if you use one graphic). setting the points
is reasonably fast for 200*200 points (using lock screen), but can get
slower quickly with more then a few hundred thousand.

One stack that uses the graphic marker technique is "growing
countries". You can get it on my page:
http://bjoernke.com/?target=games

I will look trough other test stacks later today, and if there's any
presentable ones, i'll upload one or two later.