Icon images, hilites and inks

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:54:21 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:02 AM, David Bovill <david at vaudevillecourt.tv> wrote:
> I've got some grey images that are used for icons - and I want to hilite
> them with a simple coloured overlay of equivalent when the mouse rolls over
> the button. I'm wandering if it is possible to use some combination of inks
> and button colours to achieve this effect? The only way I can see how to do
> it at the moment is either to create a coloured icon image and swap them, or
> create an overlay button in front of the icon button which at least does not
> require creating another set of images but seems ugly.

Don't forget the new Graphic Effects. This works for me:

on mouseEnter
   set the colorOverlay["color"] of me to "red"
end mouseEnter

on mouseLeave
      set the colorOverlay of me to empty
end mouseLeave

And for an easy 3D push-button effect, you can set the dropShadow in
the Inspector, then try:

on mouseDown
   set the dropShadow["distance"] of me to 1
   set the margins of me to "6,6,0,0"
end mouseDown

on mouseUp
   set the dropShadow["distance"] of me to 5
   set the margins of me to 4
end mouseUp

adjusting the settings to suit your icon.

HTH,
Sarah