Missing Enter Key - was Using multi-line message box

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Wed Oct 14 16:51:15 EDT 2009

William,
I have four different Mac laptops and the Function, Enter, and Option
keys are in different places on each. I expect the next round of
Apple keyboards to rearrange them again.
So, I use a USB Unicomp Model "M" keyboard.
I can attach it to any of the laptops (or any desktop) and the keys
are always where I expect them to be.
In addition:
1. the keys use the classic IBM "buckling spring" key-switch -
infinitely better than spongy laptop scissor switches
2. when I'm ready to trade in the laptop, the keys look like new
3. this particular keyboard seems to be indestructible (some have
been in daily use for over 25 years)
4. the layout is the same from year to year (even decade to decade)
It is about $70 at:

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104bl.html

For $10 more they will include a set of Command and Option keys to
make it look more Mac-like. This is not noted on the web-site, you
have to call and ask. By the way, I bought the key caps but never
found it necessary to install them (alt = option; windows = command).
Do note: except for the USB, this is same as the 1984 IBM Model "M";
feels just as good - and sounds just as loud.

If the concept of an external keyboard appeals to you but the "M" is
too big, consider the Mac Mini Pro from

http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbmmacusb.htm

It has full-sized keys but no number pad. I use it when I travel.

On some versions of OS X you can also use Apple's System Preferences
to re-purpose keys (for instance, to make the right Option key an
Enter key).  KeyReMap4Macbook

ttp://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

will do the same thing on any version of OS X and I think it is
easier to use.
Paul Looney