How to determine audio input options?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 03:46:33 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> The recordInput global property can be set to any of these values:
>
> imic - records from the internal microphone
> emic - ecords from the external sound input jack
> cd   - records from an internal CD player
> irca - records from an RCA input jack
> tvfm - records from an FM radio tuner
> idav - records from a DAV analog input port
> mbay - records from a media-bay device
> modm - records from the modem
> zvpc - records from zoom video input
> none - does not record.
>
> That's cool and all, but many of those options don't exist on my system.
>
> I tried searching the Dictionary for something like soundSources or
> soundInputs, and came up empty.
>
> Do we have a way to determine which of those options accepted by the
> recordInput property actually exist on the current system?

This may seem fairly moronic, but I popped this script in a button:

on mouseUp
   get the recordInput
   put it into fld "fRecInput"
end mouseUp

and 'dflt' popped up in fld "fRecInput"

err . . . no prizes for that one.

What it tells me, though, is that, as RunRev is already set up to
'listen' to my 'dflt' [rather silly way of saying DEFAULT] sound
input I can get on with all the other bits and bobs without
worrying my pretty little head about where my sound is
coming from.

The only possible use I can see for  recordInput  is if I might want
to 'suck' sound from a CD. But that seems a bit pointless as one
can either import an AIFF track directly off the CD or play around
with audacity.