How to determine audio input options?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 19:13:54 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> The recordInput global property can be set to any of these values:
>
> imic - records from the internal microphone
> emic - ecords from the external sound input jack
> cd   - records from an internal CD player
> irca - records from an RCA input jack
> tvfm - records from an FM radio tuner
> idav - records from a DAV analog input port
> mbay - records from a media-bay device
> modm - records from the modem
> zvpc - records from zoom video input
> none - does not record.
>
> That's cool and all, but many of those options don't exist on my system.
>
> I tried searching the Dictionary for something like soundSources or
> soundInputs, and came up empty.
>
> Do we have a way to determine which of those options accepted by the
> recordInput property actually exist on the current system?

Seems odd - there should be an equivalent to the driverNames.

However this line from the docs might be useful:
The value "dflt" indicates that the record sound command should use
the sound input device chosen in the user's system settings.

Cheers,
Sarah