Emailing within Rev

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:40:05 EDT 2009

George, I assumed that what you were doing was connecting to some SMTP
server  within an organization's network, and that it was the security
up to the point of connection that you were worried about.

>From your description, it sounds like you are going to have a secure
connection up to the point you send stuff to Google. AFAIK, there's no
guarantees of security beyond that connection - either within Google's
network, or between the Gmail network and the ultimate email
servers/clients used by the parents.

It sounds to me that if security really is your number 1 concern, you
would be better to have a web app available over https, and send links
out to this web app via email.  Then secure SMTP is not your problem -
the browser would ensure that the connection was encrypted. The issue
then comes down to authentication.

The email you send out could contain some token in the URL sent in the
email such that each email would contain a unique token so that the
parents would only be able to view their own kid's report.

Bernard.