Perl and Revolution at OSDC.fr 2009

Thierry th.douez at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:32:51 EDT 2009

Le 9 oct. 09 à 02:06, capellan a écrit :

> Congratulations for this great achievement!
>
> Since ever, I have believed that is in the best interest
> of this platform (and all of us) to develop ways of
> intercomunication with other programming languages,
> like Perl, Python or Java.

Java is coming soon !
have a look to Jan site, he posted this on this list
a month ago:  <http://www.quartam.com/downloads/rmj.zip>

> When will you publish benchmarks of the overhead
> of processing data (text, numerical or binary) inside
> rev compared with processing the same data within
> a Perl function?

I've never made those kind of benchmarks.
But, I did check stressfull communication between Perl and Revolution.

For instance, I've made some animation where all the calculation are
made in Perl, and
list of hundreds points were passed to and from Perl every 5 ms;
everything was moving
smoothly and the most consuming task was the redraw of the graphic on
screen,
which you have to deal with anyway, even only with revTalk.

So, what I can say today is I never had any problems concerning
interaction speed.

The architecture has been made for this.

And, I'm waiting desperately for the new external API which will make
the next
version of rev2perl much much more powerful.....

> Keep up your great good work.

Thanks :-)

Regards
Thierry